Categoriesadvertising blog brand brand experience branding Brands business cool stuff customer experience design digital Digital Marketing News Digital news ecommerce Entrepreneurialism & mentorship facebook Featured Global Google innovation Internet M-Commerce Making Marketing Marketing Strategy media mobile Networks news online Online Marketing Online shopping PR Remarketing RSS Feed SEO Shopping cart abandonment simplicity social media Social Media Marketing social networks Technology Twitter Ve Interactive Ve Interactive UK
Facebook Tips: Mobile Phone Privacy
Matt | November 1, 2012
“Traffic Sign Road Sign Shield Traffic Road” © 2011 Roadrunner, used under a Creative Commons Attribution-Public Domain Dedication license: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en
When someone mentions Facebook, it’s never too long before someone screams ‘What about our privacy?!’. This will be part one of four Facebook privacy tips that we will be releasing over the coming few weeks.
The Method – Mobile Phone Post Privacy
Who for: Mobile Facebook Users
What to do:
- Log in to your Facebook account from a computer.
- Select the drop down arrow (next to home). From here, click on ‘privacy settings’
- You will be presented with three options, ‘Public’, ‘Friends’ and ‘Custom’.
- Clicking on ‘Public’ will provide you with the least amount of privacy, meaning that any post you make from a mobile can be seen by anyone, even if they are not friends with you. We would not recommend choosing this option.
- The ‘Friends’ option is the basic privacy choice, as only your friends will be able to see your post…except if you’ve tagged a someone in the post. (The friends of the Facebook user that you have tagged will now be able to see this post, even if you aren’t friends with them, meaning that you don’t really have that full level of privacy.)
- The best option is to select custom, after which you will be presented with a new window titled ‘Custom privacy’. From here you can select exactly who you do (or do not) want to see your mobile posts.
- Click on the drop-down box next to ‘These people or lists’ and choose your desired audience for your posts. (This is the part of the guide which is completely up to you. You can play it safe and click ‘Friends’, or you can decide who exactly gets to see your posts.)
- You also have the choice of posting to ‘These networks’, meaning that only friends within those networks will see your mobile posts.
- ‘Friends of those tagged’ should be unchecked at this point, unless you don’t mind your tagged friends friends reading your posts.
- Finally, you can specifically choose people who will not be able to see your posts.
So What?: Privacy is always key when using Facebook, and that counts for mobile usage as well. It is all too easy to post a great deal of personal information online without thinking twice about it, so by taking these simple steps you can ensure that your posts remain as private as you want them to be.
Leave your reply