Categoriesadvertising Apple blog brand brand experience branding Brands business customer experience design digital Digital Marketing News Digital Marketing Podcast Digital news ecommerce Entrepreneurialism & mentorship facebook Featured Global Google innovation Internet M-Commerce Making Marketing Marketing Strategy media mobile Networks news online Online Marketing Online shopping PR Remarketing RSS Feed SEO Shopping cart abandonment simplicity social media Social Media Marketing Technology Twitter Ve Interactive Ve Interactive UK
iPad3, Facebook’s timeline for brands, and ever more apps downloaded..
M2M Thoughts in Flight | March 8, 2012
Morning everyone, In between Apple, Google, and Facebook, we digital people can be sure to have a constant source of surprises, information, revelations and outcries…. We can be pretty confident to always find some sort inspiration, something new to investigate or get our head around. The biggest news, this week, is without surprise, Apple’s announcement of the much anticipated iPad3, or as the tech world now calls it “the new iPad” or “iPad HD”. Some will be mesmerised, some others will be disappointed, one thing is for sure, it gets people talking... only the future will tell us effects and consequences of this announcement. Stay tuned.
What’s happened this week:
• The Facebook Marketing Conference in New York saw the launch of a number of new marketing products such as Timeline for brand pages, the reach generator and ads on mobile. Do ask if you would like more info on this.
• Apple obviously presented their much anticipated iPad3 or “New iPad” yesterday in California, The link takes you to some expert’s reactions. New features include HD display, 4G, iPhoto and a stronger A6 processor.
• Apple’s market capitalisation crossed half a trillion US dollars, making them the world’s most valued company by over USD 100bn.
• Google revamped their Android app marketplace and named it Google play in a new attempt to take on Apple’s iTunes.
• A Chinese man downloads the 25th billion app on the iTunes store, symbolic on many levels….
• A few more bits on the Mobile World Conference:
- Eric Schmidt’s vision of the future: smart phones for all and 1GB bandwidth delivering everything in more places.
- Facebook’s focus on open standards in mobile and cracking the mobile payment problem.
- Some (other) amazing new mobile technologies, including the 41 megapixel camera phone Nokia announced.
What we have learned:
• 25% of global smart phone users have made a purchase on their handset.
• 4x as many iPlayer shows are delivered to the iPad as all connected TVs combined, despite being in only half as many homes.
• 25bn iOS apps have now been downloaded meaning that the average iOS user has 80 apps and the average app is downloaded 45k times.
• ‘Hacking for brands’ OMD in New York brought developers and brands together for a 48 hour “hackathon” creating all sorts of new ideas.
• Cloud computing is an abstract concept, but Apple explain it elegantly in 30s with no words.
Where to find more:
• The Gamification of Business: Games and game theory are being implemented in enterprises around the world.
• ‘I’m being followed’ An interesting in depth look in to ad targeting and why it is a necessary part of the funding ecosystem of web content.
• Consumer 2.0: How brands are adapting to new consumer needs.
Have a great week end!
The Digital team, M2M
Leave your reply